Friday, June 29, 2012

Atomic Comics/Take Two


Friday today. Things are hectic around here, workmen, Robin showed up to take a look at a spare desk that's taking up space in my front hall and a treat of a surprise visit from Anna this morning - friend and ex-employee. Tonight probably Schaller's although no one but me is going. It will be lonely to go alone but it's really good to get the singing time - Bobby Benson is a great accompanist and if I'm going to do this Burt Bacharach/Dionne Warwick show, I need to work those songs.

Last night Lucas, Convex, Josh (I really need auto text to assign him a new name if he's going to be part of the posse) and I went to The Mayne Stage to see a comedy review called Atomic Comics and atomic they were - absolutely hysterical! Standup comedy is so hit or miss. I didn't expect much so I was doubly pleased when the routines were terrific. And laugh and laugh and laugh we did and realized during the car ride back how much we haven't been laughing lately. When you lead a sober, responsible life, sometimes laughter is a casualty - shouldn't be. I'm really glad we went. Almost didn't go because an hour before we left I fell down my outside front stairs - I wasn't even being a klutz. When Josh showed up, he was breathless with a warning that enormous hail was on its way. The car was parked outside so I grabbed some old down quilts and covered it but there was still a strip of exposed roof. Looking around inside for something to use, I saw the plastic pad that you use under a chair to protect the floor - just the thing. Cumbersome though, and when I lugged it down the stairs, it slipped under my feet and I found myself hurtling down the metal stairs into a heap on the landing - I landed RIGHT on the bad knee - the one I just had a cortisone injection in. My right leg is now purple from stern to stem and the knee is twice its normal size. But, blessing not to break anything - I'll be fine in a week, I'm sure.

Thought for today that's been rattling around in my brain is "Take Two." Seems like all my initiatives these days start with a false start and require rework. The office is a prime example of an installation gone awry - Victor was my "take two" guy and redid everything - correctly. My knee that's flared up in the past two months, keeping me from exercise, will need further treatment - the cortisone shot provided only modest relief. The astral cord unhooking ceremony - it was a good thing to do, but the objective wasn't realized. So many things requiring a second coat of paint!  

If you're like me, you have a huge list of stuff that's begging to be done - that screams for your attention. And when you finally get to something like the garage door that's not opening properly or the lawn that needs reseeding because of the monster party that killed much of the grass in one crazy night of debauchery, it's a big deal to cross it off your list. Sometimes I write something on my list that I've already accomplished just so I can cross it off!  I love crossing stuff off that much! Anyway, the frustration these days is in what I call action regurgitation - the items you cross off that come back up at you, like the hot dog you ate for lunch that pays you a visit in the evening.

I'm getting really good at coping with Take Two items. These days, my expectation is that nothing is going to be done correctly first time out so, I'm mentally prepared for everything to be a multi-step process. Even Thomas, the fellow I talked with most every night for two weeks, who went dark on me, has reappeared. Got a call from him, sounding so sad. His twin brother died and he not only had a rush of activity with the funeral and arrangements but I think he also just withdrew and didn't want to speak to anyone for a spell. It was really good to hear his voice today - I really like him. We will resume out talks tonight. Yet another, Take Two.

Challenge today is thinking about whether or not you're able to stay the course - get from A to Z with action items that keep regurgitating.  If you ordered stuff on the Internet that didn't work out, have you returned it or has it been collecting dust in a "to do" pile? If you reached out to someone for a job lead, sent your resume and haven't heard back, have you let the opportunity languish or are you on top of  returning the volley? It's really like a tennis game - keeping balls in the air, firing on all cylinders. Almost as soon as you lob one across the net, another one presents.

Have a good weekend, dear readers. I hope to be able to tell you Monday that I had a really good one myself. Lonely these days but thinking there is some lesson here I'm supposed to be learning.  

Peace,
Sarah

Just "swyped" Josh into my cell phone to see what new name it would assign him - he's "Gui"  Think I'll pronounce it "Geee" with a hard "g".  

No comments:

Post a Comment