Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Congressional Medal of Honor/Prime Your Heroic Pump


I'm so weird, sitting her weeping like a baby because of something I just read. OK, back story. Last night I sang at Petterino's. I hadn't been there in weeks, because it hasn't been making the short list of things that "fill" versus "drain". These days, I'm working to mix things up, not getting sedentary in my habits, questioning everything. And what was once a thrill like singing in front of 100+ people has become ho-hum. Doesn't mean that I won't go once in a while and last night WAS fun. Met Judy and Bernie there and we all sang well and Denise's jokes even seemed fresher.

Anyway, there was a table of folks sitting right next to us - right in front of Denise, the emcee. Part way through the evening, she singled out one man sitting at the table as someone we needed to know and acknowledge. His name - Al Lynch. He is one of 81 living Congressional of Honor recipients. We all stood and applauded him. Today I googled him and that is why I burst into tears. Thinking you might be similarly affected. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Lynch (then Sp4c.) distinguished himself while serving as a radio telephone operator with Company D. While serving in the forward element on an operation near the village of My An, his unit became heavily engaged with a numerically superior enemy force. Quickly and accurately assessing the situation, Sgt. Lynch provided his commander with information which subsequently proved essential to the unit's successful actions. Observing 3 wounded comrades lying exposed to enemy fire, Sgt. Lynch dashed across 50 meters of open ground through a withering hail of enemy fire to administer aid. Reconnoitering a nearby trench for a covered position to protect the wounded from intense hostile fire, he killed 2 enemy soldiers at point blank range. 
With the trench cleared, he unhesitatingly returned to the fire-swept area 3 times to carry the wounded men to safety. When his company was forced to withdraw by the superior firepower of the enemy, Sgt. Lynch remained to aid his comrades at the risk of his life rather than abandon them. Alone, he defended his isolated position for 2 hours against the advancing enemy. Using only his rifle and a grenade, he stopped them just short of his trench, killing 5. 
Again, disregarding his safety in the face of withering hostile fire, he crossed 70 meters of exposed terrain 5 times to carry his wounded comrades to a more secure area. Once he had assured their comfort and safety, Sgt. Lynch located the counterattacking friendly company to assist in directing the attack and evacuating the 3 casualties. His gallantry at the risk of his life is in the highest traditions of the military service, Sgt. Lynch has reflected great credit on himself, the 12th Cavalry, and the U.S. Army.[1]
Lately I've written scathingly about some of the patrons who come to hear us sing - the philanthropist who puts his name on everything and is vain enough to take a beautiful, decades-younger wife who he probably has convinced himself, loves him. And the socialite with the St. Charles horse farm, multiple Rolls Royce's and a ruby engagement the size of something in the Tower of London. Fascinating but so repellent - good as cautionary tales. And then comes someone like Al Lynch who is the real deal and it just takes your breath away -his selflessness and bravery.

I'm glad there are people like him in the world. One of my three fathers was a paratrooper which is also one of the bravest kinds of soldiers (what am I saying! - they're all brave!) - they are the ones who are dropped behind enemy lines. He and his three brothers were all in different branches of the military and had a good-natured rivalry among themselves. Turns out he wasn't my biological father so I didn't inherit brave genes from him but I'm proud nevertheless.

Challenge today is to think about heroism and whether you could similarly rise to such a challenge as Al Lynch did. A friend once told me you just don't know until you're tested - what you will do in a situation like that. It's hard wired in some primitive spot in your brain, how you handle fight or flight challenges. We all like to think we would do the heroic thing - make ourselves and others proud, make a difference. I'm actually wondering if my friend might be wrong - if heroism is a muscle you can exercise (albeit in smaller ways), so that when the big test comes, the pump is primed. If I'm right, then we can look for opportunities to go against the herd mentality and just jump in to help. The next time you see someone fall, stop your car and rush to their aid. Or if someone in a movie theater is creating a ruckus, be the one who challenges him and requests silence. Recently I stood up to the Landmark leader who I felt was employing bullying tactics. As I expected, I received a phone call from him. We talked for an hour and in the most diplomatic but blunt way, I told him what I love about the education and what I find misguided. I even told him I was on the fence in continuing with the seminar series because I felt his leadership was lackluster, that he seemed unprepared. And I didn't say these things to be mean - it's just that someone has to tell them they need to do better. The education is incredible - the tools, absolutely useful and liberating, but the packaging and some of the tactics, horrible. It took guts for me to be the maverick and to speak so plainly, but I'm glad I did. Not heroic certainly, but brave nevertheless. Felt good and it might make a difference. He said it would.

Peace,
Sarah

Picture is a of a very brave cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment