Thursday, August 2, 2012

Take the Punchbowl Away Just When the Party is Getting Good


Thursday already - weeks fly. Last night, lots of fun! Auditioned my show to the creative staff at Davenports. They wanted to understand the concept, hear me sing, be assured that I would be able to fill the room, etc. Felt like I was going before TV execs pitching an idea for a new sitcom (remembering an episode from Seinfeld). What's very cool is taking an idea and breathing life into it, getting other people on board and excited. It's taking shape in front of my eyes. People like the Burt and Barbra idea. And something I've learned that was reinforced at Landmark - when you are afraid of people, it helps to remember they are afraid of you as well. So you push down your trepidation, act like a rock star, smile your most dazzling smile,  firm and convincing handshake and then you just DO IT, whatever "it" is. So, when they said, "Show us what you've got," and I realized they wanted me to get up on the stage with absolutely no accompaniment, I carpe diem'd. Pulled my first note out of the air and sang like I had a full orchestra behind me. I was darn good, I think. Then told the car to take me to Chambers in Niles where voice coach, Mark and his wife Ann were performing. He told me to bring music and sit in which I did.

The sweetest part of the evening was a couple who were sitting in a booth, not across from each other, but side to side. When the music lent itself, they got up and danced - and really well, a la Ginger and Fred. The fellow recognized me from Petterino's and smiled when I came in and then sent word he was buying my dinner. I went over to thank them and learned that the love affair I was witnessing was brand new - they had been together less than a year. An older couple - late sixties maybe, they had searched for each other for years. He said, "It took me twelve years to find her!" She said, "Twenty years for me," and with that, she leaned over and gave a grateful kiss to the side of his head. And what makes me think that, in those twelve and twenty years, they didn't just pine away listlessly? I'm darn sure that what drew them together was their mutual joie de vivre and optimism about the future. Many people would have boxed up their hearts by then and taken to the couch. And what fun they're having! The list of things they have planned (their bucket list) is huge! World traveling, dancing on all the continents, embracing every musical form, theater. They are exuberant. I was encouraged and impressed.

What I'm up to today is loving the lists - got a huge one again today. Compared notes with Victor yesterday about how we prioritize and get things done, what our lists are like, etc. He thought it was interesting that I keep the list in another room (the kitchen) and that the list is mix of business and personal items that I trade off throughout the day. There's a method to my madness. By keeping the list in the other room, it forces me to get up from office chair many times during the day. You are all aware, I'm sure, that we need to get up and move around at least once an hour, if not more. And by interleaving business and personal stuff, it gives the mental functions a break. So, one minute I'm working on a spreadsheet and once that's finished, I bounce out of my chair, cross that off my list and then clean the refrigerator. Cross that off when it's done and then scan a bunch of documents that came over from the office. Cross that off. Hop in the car and run three errands. Then back to my desk for something cerebral. And so on.  I think I'm on to something here!!!  This rhythm keeps the brain and limbs in constant motion!

Yesterday was the first physical therapy appointment and my knees are taped. Said, "I have never seen anyone walking around with tape on themselves." She said, "Don't you watch the Olympics? Many of the athletes are taped." "I don't have a TV."  "Oh."

What I'm mulling today is weight loss. Two more days until my WW weigh in and I'm steeling myself for another tiny loss - trying to wrap my brain around that. WW is happy with my progress and just yesterday I was interviewed by a gal doing an article on 100+ pound losers. And, while I'm not yet a poster child for the program, my progress is impressive and impressive too is the fact that the weight's been off for six years. I gave her a great "before" picture that I've considered posting here but really I think I'd rather not have you think of me as ever having been that large - it's a beautiful picture - I'm dressed to the nines and look lovely for a 334 pound woman.  But.....oh, dear. Those were sad and uncomfortable days.

I read every article that passes my way about the latest research on weight loss. Most recently I read with interest an article about an assessment of three different dieting plans: a low carb one (think Atkins), a high carb one (is there such a thing?) and a low glycemic one (think South Beach). Bottom line, the low glycemic way of eating was the most effective and sustainable even though the Atkins dieters got off to a faster start. Then I read another article that contradicted most of the current theories. It was an interview with the leading weight loss scientist in the country - the granddaddy and guru of it all. And it reminded me of a quote I love from a Federal Reserve chairman in the '70's who said, "I take the punchbowl away just when the party is getting good" (referring to the Fed's role in curbing inflation by raising interest rates when the economy is heating up). This health scientist said, all the recent theories about how people lose weight, diets like the blood type diet, eating like a prehistoric man, low carb, high carb, low glycemic - ALL OF IT, is crap. He proved it by studying a group of dieters, confining them to a hospital where their every calorie could be documented, fed them the same calories with varying compositions of protein and carbs, and what he proved was that it matters not. A calorie is a calorie. To lose weight you simply have to take in fewer calories than you expend. Isn't it ironic and amusing that we've come full circle back to this simple truth? Seriously? He was careful to add that all calories aren't equal in terms of health benefits - there are good reasons to eat one food versus another, but if your goal is simply weight loss, it matters not if your 100 calories come from lean chicken or a Dunkin donut.

Another article that's sobering was in the New York Times yesterday. People who exercise regularly and lead an active lifestyle don't lose weight because of it. You heard that right and if you don't believe me, read it for yourself.  You've got to diet. Here's the link to the article, "Dieting versus Exercise for Weight Loss".

Challenge today is thinking about weight loss, diet and healthy eating. If you have extra pounds on you, maybe it's time to invent the possibility that you can be right weighted and then put that vision into reality. If you're like most people, you're confused about what plan you should be on - there is such conflicting information out there. I like Weight Watchers - I find the plan easy to follow and the structure of weekly meetings holds me accountable. It's flexible enough to accommodate any eating situation and it's a framework for a true lifestyle change. But remember, a calorie is a calorie. If you don't need the structure of a WW, then just count calories. Figure out, through trial and error how much you can eat and still lose a pound a week.

Peace,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment