Monday, August 20, 2012

Keep the Ghosts at Bay/Moonrise Kingdom


Writing this early (Sunday evening) because I want to start tomorrow (Monday) with a bang. Meeting with a client at noon but before that a walk with my new and improved knees on the lakefront (wearing the pedometer again, finally) and I've got another monster list planned for tomorrow.

And these days hating the weekends despite the best laid plans. Friday, missing him. Saturday, missing him. Sunday wishing for Monday and hard work to distract my thoughts. And it wasn't all bad! The highlight of the weekend was James, Liza (Convex and Lucas) and me (Swaraj) at a 10:40 movie - and what a movie it was! Moonrise Kingdom, a Wes Anderson movie. Lucas, Convex and I were absolutely spellbound and today on the phone, in separate conversations, we reviewed our favorite parts, reminding each other of dialogue we especially liked. It's a phenomenal film and it's now in my top five favorite movies of all time.

Synopsis. A quirky simple film set on a fictitious island (filmed in gorgeous Rhode Island). A period piece set with precise detail in the mid-'60's. On the far end of the island lives an odd, dysfunctional family with a brooding twelve year old girl who spends a lot of time looking at the world through binoculars. On the nearer side of the island, a Boy Scout camp with a very serious leader (Edward Norton). Movie opens with one of the boys having gone AWOL. What transpires next is a prepubescent love story, a visual treat accompanied by an inspired soundtrack, language that is strangely sparse but oh, so real, and excitement that builds against the backdrop of an epic Nor'easter that threatens everyone on the island. It's one of those movies that leave you speechless and thinking for days.

And this weekend I worked on a parody song for the Women's Club springtime benefit. It's when the otherwise dignified women make silliness, changing lyrics to well-known songs. Liza suggested a parody on the song, All of Me, a song sung by a woman to her plastic surgeon. The idea was hers as is the best line of the song (the last one). Most of the rest is from my perverse imagination:


ALL OF ME

All of me, why not change all of me?
I’m so sad, so wrinkled, so in need of you

Plump my lips, I need to use them.
Trim my arms, need to reduce them.

Liposuck, boobs hard as hockey pucks,
Tummy tuck, I’m trying to change my luck.

Lift up my eyes,
Take pounds from my thighs,

Oh, please doc, change all of me!

            ***
All of me, time to nip all of me, 
All my skin injected with collagen,

Rhino plast, give me a smaller nose
At long last, a perfect profile pose

Freeze my brow, Give me the botox now
I don’t care if I ever smile again.

And don’t forget the mass
That’s my big old ass

Oh, please doc, change all of me!

Funny, eh? So like I said, the weekend wasn't a total bust - the movie was great and writing the song was fun. Glad though that it's over and I can get back to my productive routine. Keeps the ghosts at bay.

Challenge today is getting your jelly buns to that movie. Go!!!

Peace,
Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment