Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Would be Like Hating Your Leg/Ping-Pong Playing Sherpa


Wednesday, didn't write yesterday because my mind was too full and I couldn't center my thoughts. Coming off the high of last weekend's seminar and trying to find my land legs again. And how hard do you think it is to straddle the world of possibilities and the world of the mundane (bills, e-mails, dog food, etc)?? And yet that's it, right? Living large but tending to minutiae.

What's occupying my thoughts today is what do I do with this empty slate that's before me. What powerful choices am I going to make? There is so much to consider. By the third day of the seminar we were at a place of realization that, seeing ourselves as distinct separate beings in the universe, is an illusion - for most people the thought that we are are swirling in a cosmic soup where boundaries between objects are fluid and meaningless is really hard to grasp. But grasp we did and, once you get that concept, that, where my body ends and yours begins is fluid and irrelevant, you can't ever look at other beings as separate. By realizing that, you are me and I am you, it makes it all but impossible to see you as "other". It makes it impossible to objectify and dislike you. Would be like hating your leg.

One good thing from all this - I'm growing into my own skin and assuming the mantle of leadership. Thinking I'm the last person to realize that potential - never saw myself that way. Last night I got up and spoke in front of a few hundred people in a way that reached and inspired them. Afterwards, I was approached by many people who shared with me, that things I said resonated and helped them to "get" something. Landmark staff recognized the potential as well and I was asked to take a leadership track which I might consider.

In the meantime, I need to get authentic in my own life and infrastructure, need to make sure the foundation is sturdy. Great to think big and limitless but there are also challenges right in front of me from which I can't be distracted. Balancing all that with the fact that the future is my oyster - figuring out my next move. Once all my chickens are safely in their coop, do I:

  • take the singing to a professional level and figure out how to own my own jazz club
  • become a pastry chef
  • do the international project management thing that friend Steve is encouraging me to consider
  • go back to school in order to become a psychotherapist
  • devote my hours to writing and become a professional author
  • be a motivational leader/speaker
  • make my raison d'etre raising awareness of the population crisis and being a change agent for zero population growth on Earth?
This morning I smiled to myself with the thought that maybe I can do it all! Can you imagine somehow incorporating all of the above?  Having a home base in Chicago - living upstairs from the jazz club I own that I've enlisted others to manage, being the sit-in singer and pastry chef, using the venue as a gentle bully pulpit for population awareness, travel worldwide as a high tech project manager but also as an ambassador for planet change, giving motivational speeches on what's possible for the humanity/planet problem we have. 

Challenge today is thinking about how this could relate to your life. If you sit down and list everything you think you could and would like to accomplish if there were no obstacles what would your list look like?Maybe what jazzes you is the thought of being a sherpa, a world class ping-pong player, water politics and visiting all fifty states. Or maybe you are a dancer with aspirations to write a book about orchids and you also have a burning desire to be on the school board. Whatever it is, it's a worthy exercise to consider that maybe you can do it all in some form or another.  

How fun is this?

Peace,
Sarah

PS.  Have you laughed today? Check this out - absolutely hysterical!! Laugh!!!!  It's not a video - just an audio link which you need to click on.

No comments:

Post a Comment