Wednesday, August 8, 2012

King of Pastry/Stuff Gushes


Something odd is happening to me - I'm learning to prefer my own company. Is it possible I'm becoming an introvert? Am I destined to be one of those crazy cat ladies, holed up in my house with my own thoughts and my little pussies to keep me company? Judy noticed it the other night - said she and Carmen thought I seemed sad, that I kept to myself and looked deep in thought. But really it was just that I had nothing to say, and being alone gets you out of the practice of talking. A couple of days I went out to sing in the evening and realized, when I opened my mouth, it was the first sound I'd made all day. So, Sarah=silent. You, who know what a Chatty Cathy I am, are laughing - you know this is just a phase, right?

And an alone evening last night with Scrabble and a NetFlix streamed documentary called Kings of Pastry. I was spellbound and even more so when the featured chef was located here in Chicago. From Wikipedia:
Un des Meilleurs Ouvriers de France is a craftsman competition in France, held every four years. 
The title of Un des Meilleurs Ouvriers de France (shortened to MOF) is a unique award in France according to category of trades in a contest between professionals. This contest is organized and recognized as a third-level degree by the French Ministry of Labour. The President of the French Republic is granted honorary membership with the title MOF honoris causa. The awarding of medals occurs at the Sorbonne, in Paris, during a large reunion followed by a ceremony at the Élysée in the presence of the President of the French Republic. 
This award for special abilities is unique in the world. Created in 1924, initially between the best workers of the era aged 23 and over, this contest was given the title of Un Des Meilleurs Ouvriers de France (One of the Best Craftsmen of France). Today, by the diversity of specialities, the list of which is regularly updated, the award has also been awarded to more modern trades and high technology fields. 
In this competition, the candidate is given a certain amount of time and basic materials not only to create a masterpiece, but to do so with a goal of approaching perfection. The chosen method, the organization, the act, the speed, the knowhow and the respect for the rules of the trade are verified by a jury just as much as is the final result. The winning candidates retain their title for life, with the indication of the specialty, the year following the one in which they obtain the title. This prestigious title is equally recognized by professionals and the greater public in France, particularly among artisan-merchants such as pastrymakers, hairdressers, butchers, jewelers, and others whose trades are recognized, particularly those for more luxurious goods. 
This competition requires months, sometimes years, of preparation. Technical skills, innovation, respect for traditions and other aspects are all practiced repeatedly to a level of refinement and excellence, effectiveness and quickness to succeed and be crowned by the jury, which makes its decision according to the distribution of points awarded during the entire process.
The featured Chicago chef - the focus of the documentary, teaches along with his partner who is a M.O.F. at a cooking school over by the Sears Tower (I'll never call it Willis). Called simply, The French Pastry Cooking School, I believe it is the only school in the world devoted exclusively to French pastry making. When the credits wrapped, I found their website - I was intrigued and interested in attending classes. I'd like to take my baking to a more stratospheric level. It's already great - friends swoon over my Better Than Sex chocolate cake, Lemon White Pepper Ginger Cake, and more recently developed, what I like to brag is the perfect carrot cake (OK, Sarah is not long on humility when it comes to kitchen skills). But my cakes are simple and unadorned. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they were also a feast for the eyes? Castles of spun sugar, cakes with thirty tiny layers covered in butterflies? And how cool would it be to be able to whip out a batch of perfect, warm croissants with warm and toothsome interiors and an outside that shatters when you bite into it? Not to mention, tiny little tarts and macarons filled with silky exoticness.

One year I decided to make a croquembouche which is a huge tower of cream puffs held together with spun, caramelized sugar. Elizabeth looked at the picture and said, "Bet you $5 yours won't come out like this." I took the bet and won - 'twas perfect. The challenge in all of this is not eating what you make if you're a WW like me - I remember I didn't eat even one of the cream puffs but enjoyed them vicariously as others ate.

So, yeah. I'm going to add to the big bucket list, pastry making, and figure out a way to make that come true. The tuition for a 24 week course at The French Pastry School is over $20K so that's out of the question but remember there is always an Option C. Option A is to pay the $20K. Option B is to not go. Option C could be calling them and asking them if they have auditing students. If not, maybe there are private classes one could take as one-offs, or starving students who teach on the side. Will=Way.

Today I'm toying with the idea of what I would like to be when I grow up. Is is possible, once our kids are grown, to actually do something for a living that we adore? Can you imagine bouncing out of bed in the morning, impatient to get through breakfast and your morning routine so you can get to work? Some people actually do feel that excited about their jobs. Imagine that!

Challenge today is thinking about your job and whether it fills or drains you. If the answer is "drain", then find a quiet moment with no distractions and think deeply about what it is that you could do that you would love and potentially excel at. I'm thinking that ditching everything and being a pastry chef might just be the ticket. Maybe. That, or becoming a psychotherapist. Or, owning a bed and breakfast. Or, having a jazz club. Or, being a journalist. Or.....  Once you open this train of thought, stuff gushes.

Peace,
Sarah

So the picture! Made of chocolate and sugar! NOT, real flowers! Amazing, yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment